Prep enrolments for 2020 will open on 11 March 2019. From this date, please contact the school on 3712 5111 to register your interest in enrolling for Prep. Find out more information on what you will need to do for Prep Registration Process for 2020 (PDF, 372KB) and download the Getting Ready for Prep 2019 (PDF, 1.3MB).
Calendar year placements for Prep enrolments based on year of birth
- Prep 2019: 01/07/2013 - 30/06/2014
- Prep 2020: 01/07/2014 - 30/06/2015
- Prep 2021: 01/07/2015 - 30/06/2016
Early years framework
Our Early Years Framework document (PDF, 599KB) outlines our Transition to School Program, Prep Curriculum, Age Appropriate Pedagogies and Positive Interactive School Culture.
Algester's early years philosophy (PDF, 476KB) is to develop life-long learners, by providing a developmentally appropriate learning program in Prep which nurtures independence, self-esteem and success within a stimulating and supportive environment.
Prep provides the foundation for your child’s success at school by developing:
Algester’s Prep programs are based on the following principles for the early phase of learning:
1. Children are capable and competent.
2. Children build deep understanding when they learn through all senses and are offered choice in their learning experience.
3. Children learn best through interactions, active exploration, experimentation and by representing their learning through a variety of modes.
4. Children’s positive dispositions to learning, and to themselves as learners, are essential for success in school and beyond.
5. Children learn best in environments where there are supportive relationships among all partners in the learning community.
6. Early childhood programs are most effective when they recognise, value and build upon the cultural and social experiences of children.
7. Building continuity of learning as children move through school provides foundations for their success.
8. Assessment of young children is an integral part of the learning and teaching process and is not a separate activity.
Prep student's arrival and departure
Prep students must be escorted by a responsible adult to and from their classroom each day for the first five weeks of Term 1. For the remainder of the year, Prep students follow the same process at the rest of the school. The
Prep Arrival and Departure Document (PDF, 573KB) outlines the processes in more detail.
Prep student’s requirements
Please provide the following items each day, and ensure they are all named in lower case lettering:
Waterproof library bag (only required on Library borrowing day)
Spare change of clothes in a plastic bag (underwear, shorts, shirt, socks – for accidents)
Birthdays in Prep
Children love to celebrate their birthday at school with their friends. Please feel welcome to send along cupcakes or individual treats to share. You are also welcome to come to the classroom and share the celebration. Please notify the teacher if your child has any food allergies.